Within the past few years, having a “side chick” has reached a crescendo. There are songs, movies, and even books about being the other woman, which is pretty messed up. You’d think men would “keep it 100” and tell you if they weren’t ready to be in a relationship with only one person (or that he’s actually already with someone when you meet).
Instead, they've gotten a lot cleverer in their tactics and they know how to keep their girlfriends and their side pieces separate.
Also, being a “side chick” is no longer an embarrassment to some women, which gives men more reason to have one. Here are a few signs that he’s actually in a relationship with someone else.
1. He buys you gifts to keep you happy: Hush gifts are things he buys for you when you start talking about serious issues like moving in together, committing, or spending time with his family, and an argument sparks. Because he wants to keep you as his “side chick”, he finds your material weakness and plays on that to stray you away from the serious topics and also to keep you around.
2. He seems completely disconnected when you get emotional with him: When women date, they anticipate the time in their relationships when they fall for the guy and can tell him how they feel. However, if you open up to your man and tell him how you feel repeatedly and he doesn’t reciprocate and/or tries to downplay the entire topic, this could be a sign that his heart lies elsewhere.
3. You’re never invited to stay the night after sex: As couples get more comfortable with each other, they tend to stay over at one another’s place after sex. However, if he leaves your apartment in the middle of the night, or makes sure you never stay over at his place, this is a definite red flag. Also, keep in mind, if he has a family or “main chick”, staying until dawn will never be an option.
4. He refuses to show affection in public: Public Display of Affection (PDA) should never be an issue in any relationship, so long as it’s within reason. But if you go to grab his hand and he pulls his away, or you never kiss or get too close when you’re out together, this could be a sign that you’re a “side chick”. This also gives him room to lie to his “main chick” about who you are if you two happen to be seen.
5. He dodges every photo opportunity: Everyone is on Facebook and Instagram posting their food, kids, and significant others. Snapchat also makes every day a motion picture production. So if you notice that your guy is dodging selfies like bullets whenever you tilt your phone to take a picture, you may be a side babe.
6. You have a “secret spot” that he tries to play off as romantic: Every couple has a favourite spot to eat or hang out. However, if he chooses to always take you miles outside of the city or to venues with very little traffic, it’s a possibility he’s trying to be discreet about being out with you, without letting you know.
7.He always wants to meet late at night: If you only meet after dark or after reasonable date hours, such as 11pm or later, chances are he has another life that he leads – the hours prior to those late night “booty call” hours.
8. He prefers to stay in when you’re together: If your guy always strays away from going out or always wants to just come to your place to hang out, this is a major side chick indicator. There’s a difference between a guy being a homebody and trying to be sneaky with your relationship. Every couple has dinner at restaurants or goes on movie dates from time to time.
9.You’re never invited to family gatherings: If you have never met a guy’s parents and siblings or haven’t been to any events that include his friends, this is another side chick indicator.
10.He has to go suddenly whenever you’re on the phone: When you speak to your guy on the phone, if he speaks to you in a very formal tone without even addressing you by name more often than not, that’s a definite sign you are a side chick. If he’s always gotta go suddenly or straight up hangs up on you out of nowhere from time to time, that’s probably because his actual girlfriend got home.